My thoughts on the Market Scale Problems

I first started on the one-pan scale problem first using 5 weights to sum up from 1 to 31. The trial and error process began with trying out sum of weights for the first few whole numbers. Since I know the highest number achievable should be 31, having two weights both using 1 is irrational. Hence, I started with the first two weights as 1 and 2 and was able to reach 3 through that. For next whole number of 4, I instinctively assigned the third weight as 4 and was able to reach whole number of 7. The problem begins to look like a combinations of weights using exponents of 2. Using this rationale, I assigned fourth and fifth weight as 8 and 16 respectively which the sum of five weights are 31. I knew then that the solution is a series of exponents of 2. I proceeded to validate this solution accordingly. Moreover, each weight has a binary status of 0 and 1, so the total combination is 2^5-1 which also comes out to be 31.

Next, I worked on the two-pan scale problem with only 4 weights to sum up from 1 to 40. Based on the hint of an exponent series from the one-pan scale, I thought of a series of exponents which should provide the largest sum of 40. After plugging in 3, the weights of 1, 3, 9, 27 happens to add up to 40. I then validated this result using + and - of each weight. This has similar approach where technically each weight has a status of (0, 1, -1), but the value of 27 can only be (0,1).

For the classroom, I would incorporate this exercise in learning of combinatorics. While it presents a good problem to learn about usage of exponents of 2 and 3, the part which intrigues me is the discussion of how you can generate the total number of combinations by thinking about combinatorics. For example, the one-scale is just 4 unique numbers each with a status of (0,1) for product sum which leads to 2^n-1. For the two-scale problem, it's trickier with the limitation that it must be a whole number (non-negative), but it warrants further discussion on how to constraints can be represented.

Finally, in connection with number theory, I recall that any number can be presented in a base system. Let it be base 2 or base 3. This is a good exercise to present the numbers in a binary or ternary system.


Comments

  1. Very nice, Ray! I really like your ideas about treating this as a way to teach combinatorics. I hope you will share this idea in class today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Reflections on Was Pythagoras Chinese Article

My thoughts on Dancing Euclidian Proofs Video and Paper

My thoughts on the two articles of Babylonian Numerics